That sounds a little like me harassing the troops, but don’t worry I’m smiling! Haha. As a bit of lite and fluffy Christmas reading I thought I would diverge from my hardware stories and my OSHW rant to share a bit of startup wisdom. This is the as-official-as-it-gets Upverter Startup Reading List. Back before we started Upverter there was a fairly enormous Google Wave that for a couple months seemed to be growing exponentially. It was basically a dumping ground where we all put our personal reading lists and then any new finds we stumbled across. Maybe because there was a lifetime worth of reading on it, or maybe because we had exhausted the ISBN index, I’m not quite sure, but the list eventually stopped growing.
Personally I’m maybe 1/10 through the list, Steve is probably close to half way, and Mike is a lost cause, haha. But either way, I wanted to share our favorites from the monster list. The stuff we think you absolutely need to read if you ever decide to do the startup thing. The list is a little software oriented, and that’s really just because we are building a startup that builds software, and so that’s a focus for us; but you could absolutely trim the software titles and kick-ass with your revolutionary pet rock business!
Upverter Must Read List:
Basically you’re off the team if you haven’t read these.
- Code Complete, Second Edition This book is on more programmer book lists than should be fair. Its a must.
- Rapid Development Right up there with Code Complete, this one normally seems to rank second on the book lists. Again a software book. Also a must.
- The Pragmatic Programmer Don’t fix something that isn’t broken, this book often scores around 3rd. Again a software book. Also a must.
- Peopleware This book is probably the most important management book of all time. Ever. If you ever have to work with another human being, ever, you should read this book.
- The Mythical Man Month This book goes hand in hand with Peopleware. If you ever, in your working life, will have to make a schedule – read this book.
- Don’t Make Me Think This book is down to earth usability. If anyone ever has to use something you build – this will explain why they hate it or get lost inside.
- The Art of the Start This book is pitched as for anyone starting anything. And thats a pretty good take on it!
- The Tipping Point Epidemics, viruses and human behavior. Another great read!
Upverter Reading in Progress:
The books on our kindles and iPads at this very moment.
- Founders At Work
- Rocket Surgery Made Easy
- The Inmates are Running the Asylum
- The Design of Everyday Things
- Hackers and Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age
Upverter Next in the Queue:
If I ever make it there, I have to conquer these next…
- Head First Design Patterns
- Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
- Design Patterns
- Growing a Business
- Testing Computer Software
- The Non-Designer’s Design Book
- Competing On Internet Time: Lessons From Netscape And Its Battle With Microsoft
- The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison: *God Doesn’t Think He’s Larry Ellison
- First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest:, The: A Silicon Valley Novel
- The Leap: A Memoir of Love and Madness in the Internet Gold Rush
- In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters
- Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
- dot.bomb: My Days and Nights at an Internet Goliath
- The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story
- Burn Rate: How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
- The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
- Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
- Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing : Exposed and Explained by the World’s Two
- The Goal
- The Product Marketing Handbook for Software
- Slack: Getting Past Burnout, Busywork, and the Myth of Total Efficiency
- The Business of Software: What Every Manager…
- Selling Air
- Crossing the Chasm
- The E-Myth Revisited
- The One Minute Manager
- Getting to Yes
- Essentials of Accounting
- How to Win Friends and Influence People