image by Giuseppe Torre
Today we’re announcing a ton of new features that we’ve been holding hostage for many, many months. Some for the better part of a year.
The reason for the kidnapping?
We realized a long time ago that press and blog posts and feature announcements and fancy videos that make our product look better than it really is just aren’t what matters. All that matters is the users. If users can’t do real stuff; If they can’t design for the real world, or create parts, or layout a circuit board or ship product, or collaborate with their team, or export their designs. Then it just doesn’t matter.
And so we’ve been building, and building, and building for the last year in a non-stop hustle to build a product that lets you, the user, do real shit. We want you to build awesome new products. And start awesome new hardware startups. We believe in Hardware 2.0. We agree that hardware is back in vogue.
And we’re selling the pickaxes.
For those of you that are new here, we build a platform for rapid hardware design, that means everything from ideation to manufacturing and we call what you do with it Cloud Engineering. To take the next step in product development, we needed a fresh start. We created Upverter to help take that step; to improve the productivity of design teams, to ship product ahead of schedule.
Our product has these parts:
- Ideation Tools – to help you capture your ideas
- Discovery Tools – to help you find inspiration, and see how your peers do what they do
- Schematic Capture – for electrical logical circuit design
- PCB Layout – for electrical physical printed-circuit-board design
- Simulation & Verification – for checking your design, and proving your theories
- PLM & Component Engineering – for managing your BOMs, and part library
- Prototype Manufacturing – for ordering small quantities, of real boards, painlessly
All of our tools support multiple editors. All of our tools support real-time collaboration. All of our tools are design to support an overall community. And if you’re a professional hardware developer, I strongly recommend you give it a try.
I think we’re going to make you faster.
Long term were trying to make product design cycles faster, by solving the three most critical problems getting in the way of hardware product companies, namely:
- Lack of accessibility; less time spent in the tools equals longer lead-times.
- Obsolete tool pricing; the high upfront costs are prohibitively expensive.
- Designers are isolated; their lack of community and collaboration slows them down.
All that being said, cloud engineering is not a new idea.
There are at least two dozen startups and a number of large companies currently converging on it. It has been talked about, and worked on for at least a decade, and yet remains an unsolved problem.
The enterprise migration to the cloud is still in the early stages, but we are proud to say that Upverter remains the largest actively designing community of electrical engineers, the largest open parts library, and the most advanced cloud-based design platform thus far.
And we’ve really only started on this journey. There is a ton of work left to be done.
But as long as people are designing products – we’ll be trying to make it easier.
Now go design something real.
Upverter is free to try. For more pricing information, visit http://www.upverter.com/pricing/